There’s a hint of camp playfulness in the air, as Out! Cairns prepares to once again bring its unique night out for gay guys and gals, drags and pals to Port Douglas.
Off the back of its highly successful inaugural event last year, Out! Cairns is preparing for even more fun, frivolity and fabulousness with their official event for the LGBTQI community and their friends and allies on the Carnivale calendar.
It will be held immediately following the street parade and fireworks from 8pm Friday, May 24 at ‘THE BAR’, in the new Oaks Resort, 87-109 Port Douglas Road. Entry is free, and everyone is welcome.
With DJs playing camp classics and anthems with a Latino feel all night long, this year’s party pays homage to the current golden era of drag.
Drag queens and those who love them have become mainstream entertainment, thanks to pop culture and shows such as “RuPaul’s Drag Race”, and there’s no sign of them sashaying away anytime soon.
Guest performer Cash Richy said she was looking forward to serving some Latino sass realness in her debut show.
“I’m stoked at the fantastic opportunity to be perform during Carnivale. Port Douglas is a gorgeous place, it’s going to be magical.
“I’m nervous and excited about my first show. I keep reminding myself to just enjoy the moment and do what I do in the mirror at home every day,” she said.
If you only have a vague idea of what a drag show is, it’s not just men in dresses and plastered on eyelashes.
Drag is persona and performance. There is lipsyncing or singing (or in Cash’s case, rapping), dancing, a little shade thrown and a lot of laughing.
If you have never been to a drag show you’re missing out – you need to crawl out from under that sequin encrusted frock and join Out! Cairns this Port Douglas Carnivale.
NOTE TO EDITOR:Guests looking to stay overnight or for the weekend should contact Oaks Resort Port Douglas on 4099 8900 for their special room rates.
** Note: Cash is available for photo opportunities – please contact Tanya Snelling to arrange **
P4034 3404 | 0417 202 663
p. +61 406 384 886
In celebration, Out ! Cairns have put together a “drag dictionary” of some handy slang so you won’t be wondering what’s going on if this is your first show:
- Beating your face: To apply the perfect amount of makeup on the face, resulting in a flawless look
- Condragulations: The drag queen version of “congratulations.”
- The house down: An exclamation point at the end of a sentence to indicate how extra fabulous something is.
- Kiki (n.): A term used for gossip, small talk, chatting, or a heart-to-heart.
- Let them have it!: A phrase that refers to impressing people with your fabulous drag.
- Shade (n.): The casting of aspersions. A form of insult. Subtly pointing out a person’s flaws or faults.
- Sickening (adj.): Incredibly amazing; excessively hot.
- Slay (v.): To achieve something spectacular.
- Turn the party: To captivate, enthral, and overwhelm an audience with one’s fabulosity.
- Werk (v.): (a) A term meaning to “work your body”; (b) to strut, especially on the runway; (c) to give an outstanding presentation.